1. Look for profitable situations. In baseball there are certain situations which provide the bettor an advantage. Sometimes the stats line up the right way in which you get a team that has enough of an advantage in nearly every important category. Other times, you can catch a team in the right situation (better teams going for the sweep, fading very poor road teams after a road win, etc).
2. Pay special attention to the bullpens. In today’s age when most starters don’t last much past the sixth inning, bullpens become the most important factor in baseball betting. The lines on baseball games are mostly established by the starting pitchers, but the bullpens pitch a third of the games. Look to bet against an overworked bullpen and to play on teams with solid and rested pens.
3. Focus on the right stats. Baseball can be a game of statistics and it can be very confusing. The stats that matter most to us are: team won/loss record with starting pitcher, starting pitchers WHIP (walks + hits divided by innings pitched), team batting average verse right and left-handed pitchers, day/night statistics and bullpen earned run average.
4. Avoid games that the Public is on. Vegas is in business because it makes money off losers. Which side would you rather be on, the minority (with the bookmakers) or with Joe Public of which 90% lose over the test of time? The Yankees in particular lay more wood than they should nearly every game.
5. Shop the lines. There are wide price variations on games, and over the course of a season, getting the best possible lines will save, and or make you significant money. Playing baseball on a 10-cent line is a must. Each book will have different lines because they are trying to balance their action evenly. You have to take advantage of this if you serious about making money on baseball.
7. Check out the parlays. Playing 2-team parlays in baseball can be beneficial to reduce the high juice of favorites. Avoid playing 3-team or more parlays as the books cut increases significantly. This is the only time that I recommend parlays, and I highly recommend only experienced baseball bettors use parlays.
In Baseball, as in Life, Patience is a Virtue
The bottom line in baseball is that information and patience pay off. For the patient informed better, gambling on America’s pastime can pay off higher than playing any other sport. Make sure you have take a long-term view (don’t get too upset if you have a losing day and don’t get too excited if you have a winning day). Manage your bankroll properly.